Monday, October 13, 2014

Autumn Grace #13: Simple Strawberry Smoothie (No Dairy, No Added Sugar)


Simple Strawberry Smoothie 
(No Dairy, No Added Sugar)

Add these to a blender and mix thoroughly.
  • 2 cups frozen strawberries (with no added sugar)
  • 1 cup Silk vanilla or plain almond milk (other brands may have sugar)
  • 1 packet stevia sweetener

This recipe makes a thick smoothie with a strong berry flavor, not overly sweet. You can adjust ingredient amounts as necessary, but this is the way we like it. You can also try it with berry blends.


As I wrote in a post when I first started this 31 Days of Autumn Grace series, I am trying to change my eating habits. Sugar is the number one thing I am eliminating, along with sharp reductions in wheat, milk, and soy. I know there is a little bit of sugar in a lot of foods, such as in whole fresh fruits like strawberries and apples. I don’t mind that, but I am not drinking juice because it has mostly sugars and not the healthy fibers. I am also not eating high glucose fruits like pineapple and bananas, even though those are some of my favorites.

People have asked me how it’s going with cutting out the sugar. It’s been surprisingly easy. In the past when I just tried to reduce eating sweets, I didn’t have any success. It really had to come to “I don’t eat sugar.” It hasn’t bothered me much. I am shocked how little I am tempted by it, even when I’m at a party with all sorts of gooey goodies. I just think, "That's not for me," and walk away. My kids have been pretty good about not eating it in front of me.

Granted, I am still using artificial sweeteners, mainly in diet tea and sugar free candy. My next step is to cut way back on aspartame and only use small amounts of stevia, which is natural and much healthier. I make lemonade with it, and now I’m enjoying these simple strawberry smoothies, too. 

What are you doing to eat healthier?

Virginia Knowles


P.S. I mentioned in a recent post that I had a new poem in the works.  It's inspired by Psalm 137, and you can find it on my main blog here: "The Harp in the Willow."

1 comment:

  1. This smoothie sounds so simple and good!
    Thanks for linking it up at WYWW!

    ReplyDelete