Wednesday, October 7, 2015

More Beauty for My Blue Haven


Hello!

A month ago I shared My Blue Haven, the decorating I have done in my bedroom. (Be sure to click that link and take a peek!) I have a few more blue things to add, but first a digression on where I found one of them.

A friend had posted on Facebook that her friend Christine Brown was opening a new art/craft studio and community art space called Barbed Wire Browns.  (Facebook page here.) Wedged in between my Saturday errands, I made sure I squeezed in a visit to the Grand Opening. In addition to the beautiful pieces for sale, there will also be classes and make-and-take sessions. I'm so glad I went! Besides all the pretty things, I enjoyed chatting with Christine and realizing how much we have in common.

Christine Brown
Barbed Wire Browns
in Longwood, Florida

Christine and the other artists craft a lot of their creations from reclaimed materials, such as old window frames. These necklaces feature clippings from old hymnals.


My eyes were quickly drawn to the words on this tall glass panel with a distressed light blue frame. (Yes, it is reclaimed vintage wood.) I love words. I love inspiration. I love this shade of blue. I had some birthday money. It was mine.


I hung it over my bedside table. 


BE KIND
SPEAK TRUTH
LOVE OTHERS
SHOW GRACE
WORK WELL
BE GRATEFUL
LOVE GOD

Just what I need to read first thing in the morning!


I found the blue globe lamp on clearance for $5 at IKEA. It gives off just the right amount of glow as I am getting ready for bed at night. Soothing!

At Walmart that night, I spotted a blue laundry basket, blue towels, and blue hangers for my favorite blue shirts. Laundry baskets and bath towels always disappear at our house. I wanted a way to distinguish which ones are MINE and not for general use! It is not selfish to preserve my own sanity.


I also found a light blue sheet set, which I badly needed. Microfiber is so soft! I have such a hard time sleeping at night that every little extra bit of comfort makes a big difference. I stacked pairs of dense foam pillows into two of the pillow cases because I am supposed to sleep on my side (back problems and sleep apnea) and these sturdy "pillow bricks" in front and back of me help keep me in position.

On my IKEA trip last month, I also picked out these inexpensive blue picture frames. I reframed three photos I already had on my shelf. The color is actually more of a turquoise/teal shade than it appears in the photo. I plan to hit IKEA's clearance aisle again when I drive down that way for my next spinal neurologist appointment later this month. It's a 30 minute drive in good traffic, so I try to make the best of wherever I am. I'm on the go so much that I try to keep my tote bag and purse in the same place, ready to grab on moment's notice.

This box and trash can aren't new, but I borrowed them from the living room, which is now decorated for autumn. I always need a handy box to stash things that migrate into my room and need to be put away elsewhere.


My youngest daughter brought me breakfast in bed...



A few last little thoughts:

I found this Australian decorating book, How to Decorate: An Inspiring and Practical Handbook by Shannon Fricke, at Brightlight, my favorite used bookstore. I haven't read all the way through yet, but I'm already nodding my head at this quote from the chapter "Telling Your Own Decorating Story":
"Whoever I'm decorating for, I always begin by constructing the story of the space and the people living in it. I find this the best way to humanise a space and give it a personality. Unearthing your story isn't easy, I admit. We're complex creatures with many facets, elements and stories. But once you begin to take note of your life, the places you love and the things that make you smile, you'll see a thread or a pattern emerging that will form the basis of your decorating story... Once you have your story in place, you can begin to piece together the decorating puzzle, matching that story with colour, texture, and spacial configurations. The aim is to elicit some ideas and watch as they begin to flower."
That's how I've decorated the bedroom. I know the things that speak to me, that make me feel calm, creative, cheerful, and courageous. Blue. Soft. Vintage. Books. Wood. Quilts. Muslin and tatted lace. Tie dye. Baskets. Vibrant chalks. Family photographs. Encouraging words. Solitude. All the things I'll want in my dream cottage someday.

(I do already have a cottage, but it's just too tiny to live in. My mother bought it for me when I was in college, so it's a sweet memory of her, and part of my story.)


What is your story?

Watch this video, where Shannon Fricke talks about this concept of "your decorating story" and how to nurture your creativity every day.



Grace and peace,
Virginia Knowles
www.ThisMomGrowsUp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment