Saturday, June 21, 2014

Quiet in Our Own Land


“I gather you want to conquer the whole world,” replied the philosopher.  “What will you do when you have conquered all?”

“Why then,” said the king, “we will return and enjoy ourselves in quiet in our own land.”

“So may you now,” said Cineas, “without all this ado.”

So goes the story about King Pyhrrus, as told in Awake My Soul: Practical Spirituality for Busy People by Timothy Jones.  As history tells us, Pyhrrus won battles, but at a devastating price.  That's where we get the phrase "Pyhrric victory" - the struggles that end up ruining the victor.

Just something to think about as we go about our days.  Why do we do what we do?  Is it to conquer for the sake of conquest -- to get more but enjoy less?  Or is to live authentically with a love of peace and beauty? There is a time to go out and fight against injustice.  I, too, find ways to make a global and local impact, not for my own glory and gain, but for the sake of real peace and prosperity for real people.  As a writer, I live by the maxim, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” 

But then there is this family, this home, this quiet life that I treasure.  As they also say, “The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.”  My kids aren’t babies anymore, but they still need me.  I still need to restore more calm and order to our chaotic little world. I still need to delight in the joys of the simple life.  I will take the quiet in my own land.



"The fruit of that 
righteousness will be peace; 
its effect will be quietness 
and confidence forever. 
My people will live in 
peaceful dwelling places, 
in secure homes, 
in undisturbed places of rest." 
Isaiah 32:17-18

You may also like:

1 comment:

  1. My children still need me even though they have left home. Tomorrow we are moving our son's furniture to his new rental, I often take him to his appointments, grocery shopping etc.. I doubt they ever reach a stage of not needing us:)) A calm home is so important, I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete